If you are looking for a job it’s always best to develop a contact at a company through a mutual friend or acquaintance. If you don’t have a contact you should consider making what is referred to as a “cold call”. A cold call is a contact you make with someone you don’t know in an attempt to secure a job interview. There are two different ways you can cold call in your job search; in person and over the phone.
An in-person cold calling involves actual visits to employers that interest you, and for whom you would like to work. Remember to:
- Ensure that your resumes and cover letters are specifically targeted to each employer to plan to contact;
- Be aware of busy times for the employer and avoid dropping by at those times;
- Prepare a brief one or two sentence summary of your most marketable qualifications so you’ll be ready with that information when you speak with employers and staff;
- Dress to make a good impression;
- Treat everyone with respect. The person you meet may not have any hiring authority, but could influence your resume getting to the right person.
For more information contact GST Michigan Works! at 800-285-WORKS.