At the end of the interview, you’ll want to make certain that you will be remembered.
- State your interest in the position, and summarize how you would be a “good match” for this position. Do this by summarizing your top three skills, based on the skills the interviewer seems to place in high value.
- Be certain that you ask what the next steps are in the interview process. Find out what stage they are currently in, and when you could expect some kind of response.
- Ask whether it’s okay to contact them for a status update if you haven’t heard by a certain date they indicate they will take the next step in the process, and ask how they prefer to be contacted.
- Don’t ask about salary/wage or benefits in a first interview unless the interviewer initiates the topic.
- Ask for a business card from each interviewer, or write down their names and verify spelling (this simplifies follow-up, thank you notes, etc.).
- Be certain that you use a firm handshake, a confident smile, and maintain eye contact when the interview is completed.
For more information contact your local GST Michigan Works! Service Center at 800-285-WORKS.