GST Michigan Works! is the number one resource for business retention and expansion service information. We work with area businesses through a business focused, demand-driven, collaborative approach to assist businesses retain current workers, create jobs, attract new business and operate competitively in the global market place.
Our Certified Business Solutions Professional staff attempt to address a broad spectrum of employer needs related to business development and talent. We work closely with partner organizations and serve as agents to bring other resources into the mix to address employer needs that cannot be provided directly by the workforce system.
Our goal is to assist companies find the best/right employees. We will bring our five step BSP approach to help figure out the problems and bring resources to companies, not to “fix” but to diagnose and offer options and make sure the plan is carried out.
Solutions & Accomplishments
- Provided over $300,000 in on-the-job training funds to off-set new employee training costs.
- Assisted area business to revision, diversify and align resulting in a $20 million increase in annual sales.
- Michigan Works has provided over $760,000 in incumbent worker training funds to assist area employers to remain competitive and avert hundreds of potential layoffs.
- Planned, funded and implemented “on-site” customized talent training programs to meet multiple employer “entry level” talent needs.
- Assisted area companies to reduce turnover cost and increase their ROI – at no cost.
- Assisted numerous employers to attract and retain, hard to find, talent through our customized recruitment and staffing services at no charge.
Call one of our “Certified Business Solutions Professional” staff members for details and further information about how we can assist you at (810) 233-5974 ext. 134 or email email@example.com.
Please note the GST Michigan Works! provides services only to employers in our geographic area (Genesee, Huron, Lapeer, Sanilac, Shiawassee and Tuscola Counties. Our agency will assist employers located within an area covered by a partnering workforce agency only if agreed upon in advance.
Other available Business Solutions Tools may include:
GST Michigan Works! Advantage Onboarding: Have our “Certified Business solutions Professionals” show you employee onboarding savings as high as $15,000 per employee.
- On-The-Job Training (OJT) is a Federally-funded program targeted toward employers to help defray their training costs when hiring laid-off or dislocated workers. This program is a great opportunity for employers to hire new employees while minimizing their overall training costs. Due to a variety of funding sources, there are different eligibility requirements.
- Tax Credits:Tax credits are available to employers who hire qualified individuals. Ask us about:
- Heroes Act: provides tax credits for hiring veterans and disabled veterans who are out of work. Tax credits are $5,600 for veterans and up to $9,600 for hiring disabled veterans.
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC): The WOTC is an employer friendly benefit for hiring job seekers most in need of employment. Credits range from $1,200 to $9,000 depending on the new hire.
- Incumbent Worker Training
Some individuals may need assistance to maintain or retain a good job by enhancing their skills or learning new technologies and procedures in an ever changing economic environment. Without appropriate training that allows existing workers to gain the necessary skills to operate new processes or technologies, employers may find it necessary to lay off workers with obsolete skills. Layoff aversion is one of the functions of the workforce system.Layoff aversion is the prevention or minimizing of unemployment for employees of companies that have announced layoffs, or are struggling and at risk, for layoffs. Layoff aversion focuses on saving jobs, putting people back to work, shortening the length of layoff, and revitalizing communities.
- Apprenticeship Pilot (G/S RAP): GST Michigan Works! will be providing funding to employers to sponsor 10 new apprentices in U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) registered apprenticeships (G/S-RAP). The pilot includes a $2,000 employer Incentive. Employers may use the funding to off-set some of the cost of wages or “technical related instruction” provided to apprentices. $3000 is set aside to pay for the apprentice’s related technical instruction. The apprenticeship pilot expires on June 30 each year.
- Lay-Off Assistance: Lay-off rapid response is an early intervention service offered to workers affected by major layoffs and plant closings. The goal of the program is to transition workers into re-employment as quickly as possible. Rapid Response orientation sessions are conducted to introduce workers to the re-employment, retraining and support services to which they are entitled.
- Outplacement Career Transition Solutions: GST Michigan Works! Business & Talent Enhancement Outplacement Career Transition Solutions are for the company looking for a cost-effective solution for departing employees. Our career transition program provides short comprehensive services, designed to help participants prepare for and succeed in finding their next professional opportunity.
- Customized outplacement solutions for employees more cost effective than traditional outplacement firms. Provide your transitioning employees the career tools and employment resources they deserve at an affordable price to your business and customized to reflect individual needs and employer parameters.
- Employee Succession Planning: Career pathing or succession planning is important to employee satisfaction as well as to positive organizational growth. Knowing where people fit in the future can also help you design your training for them. Let us help design a program for your business to ensure you are prepared to replace employees who retire or you promote to other positions with the best possible candidate.
- Fidelity Bonding Availability: The Workforce Development Agency/State of Michigan (WDA/SOM) offers free-of-charge Fidelity Bonding to help high-risk job seekers obtain employment. A Fidelity Bond is a business insurance policy of the Travelers Property Casualty Insurance Company that insures an employer against employee stealing, forgery, larceny, or embezzlement
- WorkKeys:WorkKeys is a job skills assessment system measuring “real-world” skills that employers believe are critical to job success. The basis of the National Career Readiness Certificate program are three WorkKeys assessments – Applied Mathematics, Locating Information and Reading for Information.